Apple and Sausage Stuffing
- Apple and Sausage Stuffing
- 4 tablespoons Branch & Vines Vanilla Olive Oil
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage - Spicy if you like a little bit of heat
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced peeled cored apple
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups 1-inch cubes, dried, fresh bread, cornbread with crusts
- 1.5 cups low-salt chicken broth or to the desired moisture
Start with heating oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage, and fry until it gets cooked through and browns while breaking pieces with a spoon for about 8 minutes. Use a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a large bowl, and add celery and the next 6 ingredients to drippings in skillet. Fry over medium heat until vegetables are soft, and it can take 5 minutes. Discard bay leaf, and add the entire mixture to the sausage. You can make it one day ahead, cover, chill, and then reheat to lukewarm before continuing.
Preheat oven up to 350°F. Add oil up to 13x9x2 glass to a baking dish. Add bread to the sausage mixture. Whisk broth and butter olive oil in a bowl to blend. Mix it to stuffing, season stuffing with the use of salt and pepper. Transfer it to the prepared dish, and bake uncovered until cooked through and brown, for about 50 minutes.